Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Last weekend I went to the University of Nairobi campus to listen to one of Paul's choirs rehearse. He is not the director in this one, but rather sings tenor. They practice in an upstairs room of an arts building. After greeting his fellow choir mates, Paul got me a chair and put it behind the choir. I asked if I could sit in front to watch people sing but Paul said, I would prefer if you sit behind the choir. We both laughed because we both knew I would be watching him intensely as he sang. Paul is kind of quirky, he is very quiet but when he sings he takes on a more intense persona. What can I say, it's fun to watch!

So I sat in the back which allowed me to snap some photos on my phone. Paul is in the black shirt, second from the right.
















The practice was like many rehearsals, with stops and starts, then only the tenors, then only the sopranos, followed by the director scolding people for forgetting music, and other bits and pieces. But they also sang some full tunes. Here is what I heard. Forgive the sound quality, it's a phone in a room with poor acoustics. Don't blame the choir!


And one more...

No comments: